Held in joint collaboration with Dhiraagu and Bike Maldives, the third edition of the Mamen Inter-School Cycling Championship has commenced over the weekend. Due to an increase in demand that the anticipated number, the one-day event had been extended to take place on both days of the weekend namely, 16th -17th of September 2022.
This year’s edition saw overwhelming support from schools with 1000+ participants from 32 various schools signing up for different categories. The categories featured in the championship include:
1. Under 11 (Nursery to Grade 4)-1K Fun Ride
2. Under 13 (Grade 5,6)-200m Sprint
3. Under 13 (Grade 5,6)-1K Sprint
4. Under 15 (Grade 7,8)-200m Sprint
5. Under 15 (Grade 7,8)-1K Sprint
6. Under 17 (Grade 9,10)-200m Sprint
7. Under 17 (Grade 9,10)-3K Ride
8. Under 19 (Grade 11,12)-200m Sprint
9. Under 19 (Grade 11,12)-3K Ride
10. Mixed 3K Team Pursuit (Under 11,15,17 & 19)
With the exception of the 1K Fun Ride, all other categories will select three male and female winners. Moreover, the Champion School title will be awarded from each age category.
Taking place at the Cycling Track in Hulhumale’ Phase 2, the aim of the cycling tournament is to instil a healthy lifestyle in children from an early age onwards, paving way for a more sustainable life. Another objective of the tournament is to foster an interest in biking among school children as well.